Wednesday, December 12, 2012

How To use Etch Glass!

This is the much-requested tutorial on how to Etch glass without using a Silhouette or Cricut machine. I'm sorry for the delay in getting this post up but it has taken me 4 days to write it, because I had to be so detail in this post. This post is long, but I wanted to make sure you had all the information needed to do this project correctly.


1. Materials needed - contact paper in clear (I found this roll at the dollar store), scissor, Xacto knife, Armour etching cream, glass jar, brush, healing mat, tape, gloves and my print out I created from my computer. I created Joy and the letter "B & L" 
2. I cut the contact paper to 11x11 and tape to healing mat. Next I took the letter "B" and trim around leaving about 1 1/2 inches around the letter and turn upside down and tape on top of contact paper.
3. With a sharp Xacto knife I follow the outline of the letter and I took my time with this process because I wanted the lines and curves as straight as possible.


4. Once cut remove the copy letter and see how the contact paper is cut. I removed the contact paper cut "B" and set aside. 
5. I'm left with the outline of the letter "B", this is the template that will adhere to the glass. I removed the outline from the healing mat and set aside. 
6. Tape the "B" cut out of contact paper on the healing mat.
7. Then I place the copy letter back on the contact paper and tape to healing mat. 


8. I carefully cut out the bubbles on the "B" 
9. Nice cut out. : )
10. Remove the bubbles and set aside.
11. Some of you my think this is my template I will be using on my jar, but it's NOT! This "B" I do not use and I save it for another project. I bet some of you are already thinking about how to use it. LOL! I am not going to tell, but there is a follow up project. : )


12. Remember in Pic 5, I set aside the outline of the "B" well I adhered to the glass. I had to work with it a little so everything lines up correctly. I did make a cut in the bottom to make it fit smooth.  
13. I placed the copy of the letter over the glass so I know where to add the bubbles.
14. The outline in pic 5 and the bubbles from pic 10 are in place.
15. With a pen I made sure all the edges are smooth and adhered to the glass


16. This is what the contact paper looks like. Not too bad.
To get the glass to not roll I added my scissor to the bottom. See the pink on the bottom right on Pic 18? Works great!
17. I put on my gloves and stirred my etching cream. I made sure there is only etching cream on one side of the brush. When applying the cream I started from the top and add a thick coat. Not thin where is see through, but a bit heavy. ***Read the direction on your bottle for every brand is different. ***
18. Here is what it looks like when I am done applying the cream. I waited 2 minutes and rinse off with cool water and pat dry and let sit for a couple of minutes before removing the contact paper.
19. Do you see the edges have a white line on the top left side? I am going to remove that. Didn't look right to me, so this is what I came up with.


20. Gently, using my Xacto knife I removed the white line on the edge. It came right off.


I just love how this came out and I have other projects to show you as well. Thanks for stopping by and remember it's the season for being crafty and the season for handmade! I Love to hear from you so drop me a line and if you make this project and send me pics. : )

Hugs, 

Vanessa 

20 comments:

  1. oh my... so pretty! perhaps out of my range of crafting due to its detailed precision, but i love how yours turned out! that would cost a fortune if you purchased retail. nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the look of the etched glass! great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to etch glass, but never undertook it, your tutorial is very good so i won't have any worries, except I doubt myself on the precision this process needs. Very pretty, so glad you stopped by and let me know you liked my front porch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vanessa, This is so pretty and something I haven't tried yet. Thanks for sharing the tutorial at the Open House party.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This turned out great! Love! Excited to be following you - thanks for joining in on the GFC hop! ((Hugs))
    Heather
    stringtownhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this etched glass and the vignette with it! I am definitely trying this craft!!! New follower through GFC :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cool is this??? :D You did an expert job....and I love the vignette, too!!! You made it look really easy, and I appreciate the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, this is so pretty and thank you for showing us how to do this. Thank you so much for popping in to see me.
    be a sweetie,
    shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved reading this tutorial! Alas, my arthritic hands would not cope with the intracacy involved here, but well done with the result! Just dropping in as a fellow guest to this linky party!

    Have a great holiday! Isobel from www.ColdhamCuddliescalling.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey! Popping in from the GFC blog hop. Great tutorial, I actually just bought some glass plates to decorate for cookie gifts and this is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW. Great project! love it. I think your blog is great too. New Follower Here:) I'm Hanna and you can find me anytime at www.bouffeebamabini.blogspot.com HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!

    xoxoxo Hanna

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's fabulous! I'm going to have to give that a try!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those came out great! Love it! Thanks for linking up!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy holidays! Just stopping by to let you know I am featuring you tomorrow!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this. Great tutorial. Thanks so much for sharing at Wednesday's Adorned From Above Blog Hop. Today’s party is live. Here is the link.
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2013/01/week-in-review-and-wednesdays-adorned.html
    Debi and Charly @ Adorned From Above

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the etched jar. What a fun gift for the homemade gift exchange. :) Where do you buy your big jars? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow very creative, imagine just a simple jar and it will going to become creative gift because now it could be etched glass. I think its fun to do etching glass.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really love the way this turned out! Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have not seen this technique before, especially in so much detail! I am pinning, it came out just beautifully! :)

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear from you, please leave a comment.